September 13, 2009

Story Of Our Lives - Homeless With A Kid

It was Saturday night. There were a couple of guys who decided to spend the weekends fishing by the sea. As usual when dusk fall, we prepare our sleeping bag. Although, it was rather crowded with people that day, we decided to catch an early sleep. In the middle of my sleep I was awaken by the loud laughter & giggling of a group of ladies together with a guy whom I shall named him as Zack were trying to capture some of the ladies' photos. I looked back and noticed a dark blue tent right next to us. At first I find it annoying and irritating as we were trying to get some sleep but I know there's really nothing I could do about it as it is a public place.

I guess, Zack noticed that I was awaken by the loud laighter of his ladies' friends cause each time I awake I could hear Zack trying to mellow down the loud noises that the ladies were making which has now filled the silence in the air around us besides the cooing sound of the waves.

As usual I woke up at around half past four early in the morning. I sit up & reached for a bottle of regular water as I was feeling rather thirsty. I then looked for some leftover plain bread which we had from last night & ate it slowly. As I looked around to see if there was anyone sitting behind on the concrete bench, I saw two dark figures approaching the bench. I realized there were the couple who had been sitting earlier. I bet they were watching us sleeping in the open air unlike everyone at the beach where almost most of the people there have set up tents. I turned around & woke up my kid as he needs to drink too. Once my kid had drank the water which I gave him, he asked for my permission to go to the restroom. As soon as he left, I heard a commotion. At the corner of my eyes, I could see that there were figures approaching our site. Suddenly I heard, one of the ladies saying "we have lots of food there". Another, brought a few food & sat beside me. The ladies were asking why are we there. I didn't say much. One of the ladies asked Zack to come over to talk to me. By then, my kid arrived. They insisted that I go over to get some of their food. I said it's alright. Then two ladies came back with food in their hands & place them all on the spot where we both were sleeping. I never expected they would be so generous, kind & friendly enough to break the ice with me. Zack started to asked questions. Although, at the time I wasn't feeling uneasy yet not easy also for me to explain everything but I tried to answer his questions politely.At the same time, while all this is going on, they kept repeating to my kid & I to eat. I don't mean to let them down or be rude but I honestly don't have any appetite to eat at all even though we were very hungry & cold. Moreover, I just had my tummy filled with the plain bread I had earlier. I just felt full.

And yes, as the questions & answers were going back & forth, all I could think of in my mind at that moment was askign the ladies if they could recommend any job for me. I don't need & don't want people to bombard me with personal questions which I feel uneasy to answer especially having to sit face to face with strangers & answering questions when both my kid & I are at our lowest point in our lives. They certainly put us in a spotlight for that long moments but somehow they put me at ease but still I feel sad & my voice choked as I try to reply whenever there are personal & sensitive questions being thrown for me to answer. I mean how does one feel if he or she is in my shoes? Eventually, Zack understands how I feel & the questions just died down as I couldn't even bring myself to answer all his questions in the rightful manner.

Those who have suffered emotionally long & hard will never see the tears in their eyes but not a single soul knows what exactly it is like to put up a brave front for all to view & yet deep down in her tiny litle heart she is crying silently. I don't think anyone can understand what it's like to be me unless they're born as me.

As dawn begins to break, one of the couples which apparently there were three couples who had overnight at the beach decided to go all the way to McDonald's to buy us all morning coffee & milo for my kid. It was the first time since we arrived at the beach that we had a fresh brew of coffee & milo for my kid. While we were drinking at the corner spot by ourselves, I heard Zack called my name. I came over & was told by him that they will leave us a tent for us to borrow for a week. We will all meet again in about a week's time. I was very touched as they were not only generous but they also have a big heart. So, for the first time in many nights, we were able to sleep in a tent...away from the prying eyes of passers by while we try to get some sleep every night.

0 comments: